Netherlands Embassy in Seoul, South Korea

Lost or stolen travel documents

If your travel documents are lost or stolen abroad, you can apply for an emergency passport or laissez-passer from the Dutch embassy or consulate. You will need to provide a number of documents.

Reporting the theft or loss

If your travel documents are lost or stolen abroad, you are advised to immediately report this to the local police. Ask for written proof that you have filed a police report. You will need this to make an insurance claim. You should then contact the embassy or consulate as soon as possible and apply for an emergency passport or laissez-passer. A laissez-passer is only issued if there is not enough time to issue an emergency passport. Bear in mind that your details must first be checked by the authority which issued the original lost or stolen documents. A laissez-passer or emergency passport can only be issued after these checks have been made. This means that it will often not be possible to issue an emergency travel document the same day.


An emergency travel document is only valid for the journey for which it was issued. Dutch emergency travel documents are not accepted by all countries. When providing your details you should therefore give clear information on which country or countries you are travelling on to.


To prevent fraud or misuse, lost or stolen travel documents are registered internationally. Even if you find the document later, it cannot be used again. If you are abroad, you should pass it on to the relevant Dutch embassy or consulate. If you are in the Netherlands, you should hand it in to the municipality or Royal Military and Border Police.

Applying for an emergency travel document

You can only apply for an emergency passport or a laissez-passer on working days. Make an appointment at the embassy or consulate and bring the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • A completed passport application form.
  • A completed Missing Travel Document Declaration
  • Two photos that meet Dutch requirements. For more information see the Photomatrix guidelines 2007.
  • If possible: other identity documents, such as an identity card or Dutch driving licence – or photocopies of these.
  • If possible: a photocopy of the lost or stolen travel document.
  • Tickets for your onward journey if you are travelling by plane, train or boat.
  • If possible: a police report for your lost or stolen travel document(s).
  • Proof that you cannot delay your onward journey and/or proof that you are a tourist.
  • If you are applying for an emergency travel document on behalf of a minor: proof of consent from the child’s parent(s) or guardian(s) and photocopies of the parent’s/parents’ or guardian’s/guardians’ passports.

To apply for an emergency travel document, you must pay a fee.